Friday, August 28, 2015

My Name

My name is Annika and it means "grace from God" in Russia. I'm not sure how my parents got it, but they chose it and liked it. Being called Annika makes me feel happy. I like my name because of its meaning and the feeling it gives me. Although it is a wonderful name, I always wanted to be named Mikaela because not a lot of people have this name. In my class there are six Annika's which is confusing for everyone.
-A.R.

My name is Felicia, and it means happy in Spanish. My name makes me feel like I am flying. I love my name because it makes me feel unique. I wouldn't want to be called anything else. My name was given by my mom, who named me after my grandmother.
If my name were a color it would be pink and red. If it were a mood it would be joyful and funny. If it were a season, it would be Summer and Winter at the same time. If it were an animal it would be a dog or a dolphin.
I love my name, no matter what.

- FdC

If you look up my name on Google, it would say that my name means dark. Sometimes, it would refer to the Adriatic Sea. My name is like a hump on a smooth road. It is different, just like me.
When I was born, my parents tried to think of a unique name for me. My mom loved to read and write, so she named me after a poet. When I was young, I hated my name. I wanted to be called Dominique, because it was more common. Now I appreciate my name, Adrienne, because it is unique, just like me.
Well, even if my name means dark on Google, it doesn't matter. I could add a new meaning: unique.

- A.M.

My name is Monica, and my name means counselor, advisor, supporter. I never got why my mom named me this. I don't think she thought of the pros and cons of naming a child Monica.
The pros being:
1. no one who is named Monica has ever been rude;
2. You'll be considered unique
The cons being:
1. anyone named Monica has never been mentally stable;
2. people will think your name is Monique;
3. if you live in the Philippines where there are no C's in the alphabet, your life sucks;
and a ton of others.

Monica has always been the anxiety-ridden, clean freak. The bad punchline to a joke. The rain and the watery mud puddles. The one who people think of as a nerd, or annoying, or shy or weird. A zero.

My name is Monica, and I've learned that even though your Mom may have given you a stupid name, and all the stereotypes that come with it, your name doesn't define you.

-M.H.


No comments:

Post a Comment