Hi. I’m a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Call me Rex. What I’m doing now? Speeding through outer space with an out-of-control rocket. I got up here like this:
Triceratops and I wanted to go to the big white ball in the sky. So we built this. A rocket called Jurassic Rulez. When I blasted off, (Tri was too chickensaurus to come.)I saw my home. It seemed like a little blue marble with brownish green blots. I turned away and looked at the ball. I was getting closer. Suddenly, I heard a THOCK! I looked outside. A rock had hit me, knocking me off course. I screamed, “AIEEEEEEEEEE!”. Ah well. Perhaps I’ll go home someday.
Several Million Years Later………
Well, it was bound to happen. I crashed. Back home. When I stepped out, I saw huge grey mountains. Monkeys, almost-furless monkeys. They were staring at me.
“Hello. Do you know where the dinosaurs are?” Before I could introduce myself, they screamed and ran off.
“How rude.” I thought.
All but one. He was wearing a few odd garments. The one on his top half was grey with yellow, green, and red squares. The ones on the bottom half were brown and black. The brown one was tight looking. The black one had holes.
“Hello there. What’s your name?”
“Rex.”
“Do you want to have a place to stay for the night?”
I shook my head. “No thank you. Where are the other dinosaurs?” I asked.
“They’ve all died. All but you.”
“You can’t be serious!”
“It’s true.” He smiled a sad smile. “Follow me.”
I nodded, my emerald scales catching the orange light. He walks, his feet making a soft sound. On the other hand, my green feet hit the road hard, causing small tremors.
“What’s your name?” I inquired.
“Lawrence.” He and I finally arrived at a small grey hill. He pointed to a field behind him. He told me I’ll be sleeping there.
“Good night, Rex.” I said nothing. As soon as he left, I rolled around in the soft pillow-y grass, pondering.
“Where are they now?” The question rolled around in my head as my eyelids got heavier than rock. My vision was swallowed up by the inky blackness. It wouldn’t last long. Soon it was pierced by an orange streak. I saw rocky ground-my home. I saw-“Triceratops?” I tried moving but I couldn’t. I was frozen.
The orange streak hit my home. Everything blew apart. All but me. There was nothing I could do. Nothing.
I jerked awake. Lawrence walked out of his hill. “Here’s breakfast.” He brought a large bit of meat. I didn’t touch it. I rolled over and thought again.
“If nobody’s like me, why bother living?” I raised a claw to my heart, about to welcome the promise of nothing. Oblivion.
“Rex, WAIT!”
I sighed. “Yeah, Lawrence?”
“Don’t take your life. Would your friends want this?” He gestured toward my claw. I put it down as a realization struck me like lightning.
“T-they wouldn’t.” I said, teary-eyed.
I took a big bite of the meat Lawrence had laid beside me. Later that day, Lawrence bought me to see some neighbors. After convincing them I wasn’t dangerous, they let me in. When I saw a small human, (Lawrence had told me what the monkeys called themselves,)I asked what his name was. “Gusto.” he replied.
Since the day I’ve come to call ‘Moving on day’ I’ve met a good number of friends. The humans are now quite used to having a dinosaur n their midst.
And me? I’ve learned that though there seems to be no hope at all, there always is.
- Ada V.
No comments:
Post a Comment